GIS / Mapping Technician
SWRE is looking for an experienced candidate to fill our full-time, open position of GIS / Mapping Technician. SWRE is an electric utility cooperative located in Tipton, Oklahoma with territory in 11 countries in parts of both Oklahoma and Texas. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer an excellent benefit package.
To apply, please email your resume to HR@SWRE.com.
POSITION: GIS / Mapping Technician
DEPARTMENT: Engineering & Operations
REPORTS TO: Manager of IT & Technology
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The GIS Technician shall maintain the cooperative’s Geographical Information System (GIS). The GIS Specialist shall provide necessary data, drawings, and assistance to aid in the planning, design, analysis, installation, and maintenance of the cooperative’s electric distribution system. The GIS Specialist shall be responsible for the creation/maintenance of all locations and related connects/disconnects of equipment records in the cooperative's Equipment Information System (EIS) as well as assisting in the incorporation of this information into the cooperative's Geographical Information System (GIS).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned)
- Maintains detailed system maps and supporting records and printing maps as needed.
- Posts staking sheet information to ESRI based system maps, as well as posting other changed made on the system.
- Responsible for the creation/maintenance of all equipment locations and related connects/disconnects of equipment records in the cooperative’s Equipment Information System (EIS).
- Assists in the maintenance of the cooperative's Geographical Information System (GIS) by obtaining, updating, and implementing all information pertaining to the electric distribution system that is provided by the engineering and operations teams through staking sheets and various other reports.
- Assists in the maintenance of the cooperative's Geographical Information System (GIS) by obtaining, updating, and implementing all information pertaining to transportation and land-use such as roadways, waterways, and state, county, township, city, and individual property boundaries.
- Assists in the maintenance of the cooperative's Geographical Information System (GIS) by obtaining and integrating pertinent customer and equipment information through a dynamic link between the Customer Information System (CIS), Equipment Information System (EIS), and Geographical Information System (GIS).
- Assists in the preparation of system planning and operational studies (such as construction work plans, long range plans, and sectionalizing studies) by providing the system engineer(s) with an updated electric distribution system model to be used in performing engineering analyzes (such as unbalanced voltage drop, fault current, and protective device coordination) and incorporating the results of these analyses into the cooperative’s Geographical Information System (GIS).
- Provides necessary Geographical Information System (GIS) data, drawings, and assistance required by employees to aid in the planning, design, analysis, installation, and maintenance of the electric distribution system.
- Provides all pertinent Geographical Information System (GIS) data, drawings, and assistance to external engineering firms and/or governmental agencies for use in a regional geographic information system (GIS).
- Uses several different computer languages to customize and enhance the performance of the Geographical Information System (GIS).
- Recommends where improved efficiencies for the networking, usability, and operation of Geographical Information System (GIS) technology and related hardware and software may exist.
- Proficiently operates a personal computer, plotter, printer, and copy machine. Efficiently uses Windows based software including, but not limited to, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Word.
- Assists in the maintenance of department files pertaining to electric distribution system equipment.
- Keeps informed on the cooperative’s policies, plans, programs, and rates. Attends safety meetings, training, and other employee meetings as required. Uses safe working procedures and looks out for the safety of others.
- Practices proper traffic procedures and complies with all traffic laws, rules, and regulations while operating a cooperative vehicle.
- Cares for and maintains all cooperative assigned equipment and supplies.
- Performs other duties as necessary or required
Lifting 25 lbs. maximum and occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as computer printouts, notebooks, ledgers, small tools, etc. Walking and standing are required only occasionally as well as reaching, handling, feeling, verbal communication, and hearing.
COMPUTER AND MATH SKILLS
Use computer technology to solve problems, process, and maintain data
Requires mathematical development sufficient to be able to: Deal with systems or real numbers; algebraic solution of equations; and probability and statistical inference.
Apply fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions.
Employees shall be trained in and familiar with the safety related work practices, safety procedures and other safety requirements in the cooperative’s safety manual that pertain to their respective job assignments.
Employees shall attend regularly scheduled safety training meetings for training in all areas that pertain to their respective job assignments. Employee shall have a fundamental knowledge of basic first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, safe driving responsibilities, and emergency procedures.
SPECIFIC VOCATIONAL PREPARATION:
Specific vocational preparation may be required. This includes a combination of apprentice training, in-house training, on-the-job training, vocational education (not to duplicate education/experience listed below), or essential experience in less responsible jobs.
REQUIRED LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid driver’s license preferred
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma required. Two years technical degree in Geographical Information Systems degree, electrical technology or related field preferred. Additional electrical utility and or GIS experience preferred. Closely related and progressive job experience may substitute for a portion of the educational requirements.